Thursday, December 6, 2007

Joe Calzaghe: "The Pride of Wales"


Joe Calzaghe is the WBO, WBC, WBA, and Ring Magazine Super Middleweight Champion of the World, with a record of 44-0 (32 KOs). He is Welsh and I recently saw him beat Danish boxer Mikkel Kessler in a 12-round decision. I really wish I could find that fight, because it was one of the most exciting contemporary fights I’ve seen, although I might have some of it on tape.

Calzaghe is also considered one the greatest pound-for-pound fighters in the world and he is fascinating to watch. He is quick and has great foot movement and I’ve never seen a fighter with a higher punch volume. When I saw him for the first time in that Kessler fight, I thought there was no way anyone could fight twelve rounds at that pace. He also has a tendency to drop his hands and square up, which is unusual.

I did find his fight against Jeff Lacy on YouTube, where you can see him brilliantly and totally dominate his opponent. I can’t wait to see him fight again. I think he is the most exciting boxer around today (that I’ve seen, anyway).



Click on the video and use the sidebar to find rounds 3-12.

No comments: